General Statement of Duties
Performs guidance and leadership in planning, organizing, and directing programs and ministries for youth, 7th (may one day read 6th) grade and beyond, with a smooth transition for children coming in from Children and Family Ministry programs. In addition, provides a similar leadership and guidance in areas of educational ministries within the church.
Distinguishing Features of the Class
An employee in this class serves in a spiritual leadership capacity to youth of the church 7th grade and beyond. Duties for the Youth and Education Minister includes planning, organizing, and coordinating youth programs such as mission activities, Bible study, retreats and camps, special programs and activities, and recreational activities. The employee serves as part of the pastoral leadership team and serves on committees as designated by the Pastor and Board of Deacons. Duties also include providing pastoral care to youth groups and to serve as a staff resource person to assigned committees dealing with the youth ministry and educational activities within the church. Duties in educational leadership include the responsibility for Sunday School, Wednesday evening ministries, assistance with Pastor’s class and a support role for Vacation Bible School working with the Minister of Children Family ministries.
Employee serves as part of a pastoral and leadership team. Considerable independent judgment and initiative are required in the performance of all duties. Tact and courtesy must be exercised in dealing with Church committees, volunteers, Church staff and members, community organizations, and the general public. Minister of youth and education will set goals with the pastor in support of overall objectives from the Deacons. Duties are supervised by the Pastor with progress against goals reviewed annually with employee. The option of mid-term reviews are available upon request by the employee to the Pastor.
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential Duties and Tasks
- Coordinates with Minister of Children and Families when conducting Youth Council meetings, Youth Bible Study and other special ministries and activities such as retreats, mission trips, and camps; enlists volunteer leaders and chaperones and plans all supporting transportation, materials, supplies, and collection of needed
- Plans and organizes recreational events such as ski trips, holiday outings, progressive dinner, and others.
- Assists youth with local mission projects.
- Responsible for outreach in areas of youth and education.
- Visits or counsels youth in cases of sickness, death, and other crises in their lives; attends community or school events in which youth participate.
- Develops, organizes, and leads weekly Bible studies and classes. Coordinates activities for Youth Sunday and prepares youth to teach Sunday School classes and lead worship services.
- Handles promotional and administrative efforts for assigned ministries, and activities; coordinates with assigned support staff.
- Submits and monitors budget needs for assigned ministries and activities. Serves with Pastor and other ministerial staff in leading the Pastor’s class.
- Handles administrative details and coordination with other staff for assigned programs, ministries and activities.
- Serves along with Children and Family minister as staff liaison with Week Day Early Education, After School Care and Summer Adventures as needed.
- Provides staff leadership and support to Vacation Bible School as needed.
- Provides staff leadership to Sunday School leaders and volunteer staff; evaluates curriculums and orders and coordinates distribution of materials from various sources.
- Provides leadership to discipleship training, mission education, and Wednesday evening ministries as needed.
- Provides support to the Women’s Mission Groups and Baptist Men’s ministry as needed.
- Plans, organizes, and coordinates various congregational and community ministries and services as established and approved by the Church staff and/or Board of Deacons.
- Assists in planning and coordinating adult mission opportunities.
- May serve along with other church staff as the Church’s contact with community services and agencies and other groups from the church.
- Serves as staff support and resource person to Church committees as designated by the Pastor and Board of Deacons.
- Plans, coordinates, and organizes leadership team for programs and activities involving all church members.
- Serves with Pastoral team in leading the Pastor’s class.
Recruitment and Selection Guidelines
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of the types and kinds of ministries, activities and programs which interest youth and develop their Christian beliefs.
- Interest and care for youth of the Church and the community.
- Professional skill and expertise in providing ministry support and personal care to the youth of the Church.
- Skill and ability to coordinate a variety of groups, programs, and activities with the youth, volunteers, and other staff.
- Ability to plan and organize activities with large numbers of participants and volunteers.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion in decision making and in communicating with the Church’s organizational structure, staff, denominational levels, Church members and the public.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the community, Church leaders, committees, staff, and the general public.
- Considerable knowledge of the aims and purposes of the Johnston Baptist Association, the Baptist State Convention of NC, the Southern Baptist Convention, the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship.
- Ability to express ideas effectively in oral and written forms.
- Ability to establish work priorities, do follow up tasks, and implement and evaluate programs, activities, and
- Ability to supervise and or provide ministry related services on weekends, nights, and special functions.
- Attends conferences, workshops, and other meetings for professional development and spiritual renewal.
- Thorough knowledge of the design, curriculum and volunteer support needed for Sunday School organization and implementation. Skills and ability to plan various educational efforts of the church.
- Professional skill and expertise in providing opportunities to the community and mission program direction for the church.
- Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational skills of climbing, walking, talking, and hearing.
- Must be able to perform light work exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- Must possess the visual acuity to analyze data and figures, operate a computer, do extensive reading, and operate a motor vehicle.
Education and Experience
- A Master’s in Religious Education or Masters of Divinity is required (or in pursuit of one of those degrees)
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a major in religious education or related field and experience in working with Christian educational programs
- Experience working with missions or community service a plus. Will consider an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Possession of a valid North Carolina Driver’s license.
- Possession of CDL license or ability to obtain them.
- Other duties as designated